Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 250 g fideos cortes (short, very thin wheat noodles) or 250 g egg noodles
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1⁄4 large white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 -3 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo (we use Del Monte brand, depending on your personal heat register)
- 150 g best quality chorizo sausage, without skin,finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -3 cups chicken stock
- 100 g fresh but firm cheese, grated (here we use Panela)
- maggi seasoning
- cilantro or epazote leaves, to decorate
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup fresh ranch cream (A slightly soured cream used a lot in Mexico) or 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup creme fraiche ("or" mix some sour cream with fresh pouring cream)
- avocado, sliced (optional)
- Puree the tomatoes, onion and garlic in a blender.
- Heat oil in a lidded pan or casserole.
- Add chorizo and saute over medium/ low heat until golden- be careful not to burn.
- Reserving the oil and fat in the pan, drain the chorizo on paper towels.
- Add a little more oil to the pan if necessary, heat and add fideos.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until golden brown (about 5 minutes).
- Drain exess oil.
- Add puree, chile chipotle in sauce and cook until sauce changes colour.
- Add chicken broth, starting with 2 cups and add more only if needed.
- Cook, covered over low heat, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover and cook longer until liquid evaporates and fideos are cooked but not mushy.
- Check and adjust seasonings, adding more chipotle if you wish.
- Serve hot, with chorizo and all garnishes arranged on top.