My best friends mother made this for her family as they grew up, and it has become a staple at her house. I thought it sounded a little bit weird, but tried it anyway, yummy comfort food! I saw another recipe similar to this one, but this one has lots more spices....I know it sounds like a weird concoction, but it really is good!.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1.5 (15 ounce) cans water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 10 hot dogs, sliced thin into coins
- 2 cups uncooked shell macaroni or 2 cups elbow macaroni
- Add tomatoes, water and all spices to a pot and heat on high.
- When it comes to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and add hotdogs.
- Simmer for 10 minutes and add shells and stir.
- Continue to simmer for another 10 minutes or until shells are done.
- If you let it sit off the heat for a few minutes, the starch in the noodles thicken the sauce nicely. ENJOY!
- *I add a few shakes of hot sauce to bowl and it makes it even yummier. My son adds grated cheddar cheese to the top of his.
Not my personal cup of tea, but I can see how kids would like this. Paired with Native American Fry Bread. Would have to make a few changes to compensate for individual tastes. But thnx for posting your recipe, Dissie. Made for PAC Fall 2009.