Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My hubby doesn't like much sauerkraut, but when my sister first made this, he LOVED it! It is a family favorite now, and goes well with pork, ham or sausage. Freezes well also.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 (1 5/8 ounce) package onion soup
- 1 (14 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 3⁄4 lb margarine
- 1 lb wide egg noodles, cooked
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mushrooms
- parmesan cheese
- Sauté onions in margarine and add onion soup.
- Mix onion mixture with remaining ingredients in large casserole. Top with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
Awesome combination! I made this as written but cut the butter down to 1/2 pound. This is a fabulous side dish (or main dish) for sauerkraut lovers. I think some caraway seeds would be a great addition to this already wonderful casserole. I'll have to try that! Thanx!
Wow, this is great! I added caraway seeds, 1/2 lb ground beef, fresh mushrooms, amish noodles, doubled the kraut (bubbies in the refrigerator section), and this was one happy Czecho-American!
Great! I had to write in because we enjoyed it so much with grilled kielbasa last night! I did have to make a few changes though, as I just couldn't get past the butter content. I sauteed the onions and fresh mushrooms in one stick of butter until almost carmelized, then added the nion soup mix with generous 1 cup of veggie stock. I doubled the sauerkraut too, as wee love it! It turned out great with a spoon of sourcream and chopped green onions on top of the individual servings! DELICIOUS! Thanks so much- I think I can away with even less butter next time too.