Recipe by Sabia
My husband and his family are obsessed with the old store-bought box called "Noodles Romanoff" and when they stopped selling it he went on a crusade to copy it. I think it's better than that box version and he thinks he's figured it out. So here it is. I prefer it without the sugar and the garlic salt. If you add chopped bits of ham to this, it makes a good meal.
Top Review by Ol' Seatusk
This is it! The recipe I have been waiting for. I loved Betty Crockers Noodles Romanoff and have been despondent for years since it's demise. I couldn't figure out how to duplicate it. Now I see that it needed a little sugar to get that good old fashioned, processed taste.
- 4 ounces egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (but we like colby-jack)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles as directed and drain.
- While the noodles cook, make a rue by melting the butter in a pot first and then adding the flour to make a sort of yellow mixture.
- Add milk, sugar, garlic salt and salt and let boil.
- Right after it boils, remove from heat and add sour cream and cheese. Mix to melt.
- Add noodles to the pot and mix sauce together with noodles.