Recipe by s'kat
I was slightly alarmed to discover that most of the strawberry pie recipes here require the use of Jell-O, or some such thing. This is an exception. Recipe from 'Noodle', from the FineCooking Cook's Talk Forum, and is completely fabulous.
Top Review by ciao
This was very easy to make, and the fresh taste of the fruit really shines in this pie. I didn't have the shortbread cookies, so I used graham cracker crumbs and walnuts. Delicious! Thanks for the recommendation, s'kat!
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed shortbread cookies
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped blanched almond (I've never bothered to blanch)
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh strawberries, approximately
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- For the crust: Mix together all ingredients (I use the food processor), press on bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate, and bake at 350-degrees for 8 minutes, or until crust is golden: cool completely.
- For the filling: Mash enough strawberries to equal 1 cup.
- Slice remaining strawberries, place in bowl, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, water and mashed strawberries in a heavy bottomed pot.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and boils.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add salt and almond extract.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Fill cooled crust with remaining, sliced strawberries.
- Pour cooked mixture over strawberries.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours, or until set.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
- Note: This is also good with peaches or blueberries- and I have subbed chocolate wafers for the shortbread cookies.
- Sometimes, if I'm feeling citrusy, I omit the almond extract and add some grated orange or lemon zest.