1/1 Photo of Noodle's Fresh Strawberry Pie
3 hrs 30 mins
I was slightly alarmed to discover that most of the strawberry pie recipes here require the use of Jell-O, or some such thing. This is an exception. Recipe from 'Noodle', from the FineCooking Cook's Talk Forum, and is completely fabulous.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups crushed shortbread cookies
- 1/4 cup finely chopped blanched almond (I've never bothered to blanch)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1For the crust: Mix together all ingredients (I use the food processor), press on bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate, and bake at 350-degrees for 8 minutes, or until crust is golden: cool completely.
- 2For the filling: Mash enough strawberries to equal 1 cup.
- 3Slice remaining strawberries, place in bowl, and sprinkle with sugar.
- 4Combine sugar, cornstarch, water and mashed strawberries in a heavy bottomed pot.
- 5Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and boils.
- 6Boil 1 minute.
- 7Remove from heat and add salt and almond extract.
- 8Cool 10 minutes.
- 9Fill cooled crust with remaining, sliced strawberries.
- 10Pour cooked mixture over strawberries.
- 11Refrigerate at least 3 hours, or until set.
- 12Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
- 13Note: This is also good with peaches or blueberries- and I have subbed chocolate wafers for the shortbread cookies.
- 14Sometimes, if I'm feeling citrusy, I omit the almond extract and add some grated orange or lemon zest.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Noodle's Fresh Strawberry Pie
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.4
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 130.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 31.8 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: