Prep 35 mins
Cook 22 mins
This is a very simple dish that my mom used to make. Plenty of room to spice it up if you so desire.
- 5 cups uncooked medium egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook noodles in salted water until tender.
- In another saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the spinach, salt and pepper.
- Drain noodles.
- Add to the spinach mixture; toss gently to coat.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2 quart baking dish; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Deeelicious!! We loved the flavor of the spinach with the swiss cheese. I made this recipe as posted except for one thing. I didn't put it in the oven. I just simmered it a few minutes to heat the noodles. Then I sprinkled the cheese on top and covered it until the cheese melted. This is very good! I will keep this handy Nurse Di!! Thanks!
I love this recipe. Easy to make,inexpensive, and good. The swiss cheese makes the dish.
Some how I found this a little bland even with the swiss cheese!! Go figure!! It was good and I did put it in the oven but don't really think it is necessary to do so. Will not do it next time.