Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is macaroni and cheese with a few twists - the tang of yogurt and the crunch of sunflower seeds! It's full of protein and calcium also. If you need to, you can use regular white pasta. Soy sauce works in place of worcestershire sauce. Try it with different cheese, though a mix of cheddar and parmesan works well.
- 2 cups whole wheat macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 large mushrooms, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 pinches pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vegetarian worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- Saute the onions, sunflower seeds and mushrooms in the oil until the vegetables are soft and the seeds are crisp.
- Combine the noodles with the vegetables and seeds. Stir in 1 cup of cheese, eggs, yogurt and seasonings.
- Turn into an oiled casserole, top with bread crumbs and 1/4 cup cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until firm and nicely browned on top.