Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This Southeast Asian recipe is adapted from a recipe posted on Katherine Martinelli's blog.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro leaves and stems
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bruised or 8 lemongrass, leaves roughly chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 -4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 6 ounces thin rice noodles
- 2 carrots, coarsely shredded
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mint
- 1⁄4 cup sliced scallion
- 1⁄2 cup fresh bean sprout
- 1⁄4 cup chopped peanuts
- For the Poached Chicken:.
- Fill a large, deep pan with water and add the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, cilantro, lemongrass, salt and pepper and bring to a rolling simmer over medium heat.
- Add the chicken breasts and bring the liquid back to a boil. Cook for a few minutes, then remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for about 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the poaching liquid with a slotted spoon and set aside. Let cool and then shred with two forks. (Don’t throw that liquid out! You’ve now got a beautiful broth – cover and bring to a rolling boil for at least 5 minutes (just in case) then strain and serve. Add chicken or any veggies you like.).
- For the Peanut-Lime Vinaigrette:.
- Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and mix until fully combined and smooth. Set aside (can be made a few days in advance and stored in the refrigerator).
- For the Noodle Salad:.
- Meanwhile, put the rice noodles in a large heatproof bowl and pour boiling water over to cover. Allow to soak for 10 minutes, until the noodles are tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Return to the bowl.
- Add the carrots, cilantro, mint, scallions, peanuts, shredded chicken, and half the peanut-lime vinaigrette and toss (alternately, substitute 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken or sliced tofu, raw or cooked). Taste and add more vinaigrette as needed.
Wonderfully flavourful salad! We both loved it. Thanks for sharing! Made for Culinary Quest 2016 / Indonesia for team IH?
We loved this fantastic salad and its wonderful mixture of flavours. I made as written except that I didn't have any carrots on hand, so used red bell pepper (capsicum) instead. Hey, red is close to orange. Thanks so much for posting.