Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Gooseberry Patch Flavors of Fall. An old Pennsylvania Dutch recipe.
- 1 (16 ounce) package medium egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 apples, cored, peeled, and grated
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2-1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup orange juice
- In a large bowl, gently toss noodles, apples, walnuts, and raisins together; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir into noodle mixture.
- Spread mixture into a greased 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 40 minutes.
My mother (who is not Jewish) made something very similar, with apple juice. This is a comfy dish. I think these types of dishes were common among central and eastern European households of all types, as all of the ingredients were readily available in the farm economies.
I am suprised ... My 4yo son, who hates everything absolutely loves this. He ate his plate full and then had seconds, in fact he is gutsing himself on them right now. Thank you for a great recipe!
this is a very good noodle pudding, but unless my friend's mother was PA Dutch,and she was not, it is a Jewish kugel that she made all of the time, especially for the Jewish New Year.