Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
a.k.a. Crustless Quiche Muffins with Pasta. -- This is an inherited recipe (and thus adapted a bit from the original) from my mother, who had clipped it from a newspaper. Quick and easy, it has never failed to please. Original calls for ham and swiss, but I have successfully substituted * bacon & cheddar, * spinach, mushroom & feta, as well as a * mexican version -- taco seasoned ground beef (or turkey) & monterey jack/cheddar. The nutmeg should be omitted (in my opinion) with all the substitutions except the spinach. This can also be made ahead to make for a party, large or small. Complete all the way through baking, cool thoroughly, and place on a cookie sheet. Can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to a month! If you freeze, after they are solid you can toss them in a freezer bag for easy storage. Simply put on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 10 min until heated through. Easy peasy! Additionally! If you make these in full sized muffin pans, two could be considered a lovely lunch. I would suggest figuring out how to deal with the fat & calories of the cream first. Please feel free to post any other combination you come up with!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray, butter, or in some way lubricate your mini-muffin (or reg muffin pans) WELL, otherwise there is a good chance you will be digging these out of the pan (even silicon pans need a good oiling) and end up with a delicious mountain of destroyed nests. And muffin liners (even the foil ones) don't work well either, trust me.
- Cook pasta (or use left overs).
- Chop meat, cheese and onion; mix together with pasta.
- In a large measuring cup (2 cup works well), beat eggs slightly, stir in cream, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Evenly distribute the dry mixture among the mini-muffin pans, then evenly pour custard mixture into each muffin cup. There will be left over - there always is. These puff up, so you don't necessarily want to take the liquids all the way up to the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, run a knife around the edge of each nest to loosen from the sides of the muffin cups. Let cool 5-10 min before removing.
- These are best warm, but usually consumed piping hot - be warned!
- Check description for flavor substitutes and make ahead instructions.