Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Since this recipe was found in the 1992 cookbook, Amish Country Cooking, & since the Amish are of Deutsch origin, I'm including this recipe in my cookbook of Deutsch recipes, posted here for the ZWT6.
- 1 cup egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- 1 dash paprika, to taste
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup peas, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, cooked
- 1 cup broccoli floret, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup corn, cooked
- 1 tablespoon pimentos, diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Cook egg noodles in 3 cups of boiling water for about 8 to 10 minutes or until just tender, then drain well & toss with the olive oil to prevent sticking.
- In a saucepan, melt butter, then stir in the flour, cooking for 1 minute.
- Gradually beat in the milk until smooth, then add the salt, pepper & paprika to taste.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring constantly, until thick, then add the cheese & stir until melted. Divide the sauce in half.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & grease well an 8" or 9" ring mold.
- Add half the sauce, along with the 2 eggs to the noodles & mix thoroughly.
- Spoon this noodle mixture into the prepared ring mold, then place the mold in a roasting pan containing enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the mold.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until completely set.
- Meanwhile, cook the vegetables until just tender, then combine them & the diced pimento with the remaining cheese sauce. If the sauce is too thick, thin it down with a little more milk.
- Unmold the noodle ring on a large platter & sprinkle it with the teaspoon of paprika, then spoon the vegetables in their sauce into the middle & serve.