Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my Swedish great-grandmother's recipe for Pepparkakors. She used to make hundreds of these every year for Christmas.
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons light molasses
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- Cream butter, sugar, egg, and molasses together.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, clove, ginger.
- Add flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture and mix well.
- Refrigerate dough for several hours.
- Divide into fourths and roll into logs. wrap each log in waxed paper and aluminum foil.
- Freeze dough overnight.
- Remove 1/2 log from freezer at a time. Slice very thin(1/8 inch) and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-15 minutes in preheated 300F oven.
- Cool for a few minutes and remove to wire rack.
Delicious! They're getting eaten almost as soon as they cool. I was thinking of reducing the amount of cloves a little bit, but all my testers are saying they like them just the way they are.