Recipe by gregory schulte
finalist for maggianos italian cook contest from the rocky mountain news
Top Review by scancan
Absolutely Yum! This is just a wonderful Italian dish, I really loved the various herbs and artichokes especially. I did not use shallots, just plain onions which came out great. I definitely plan on making this again. Thank you for posting. Made for PAC Fall '08.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- red pepper flakes (about 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1 (12 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained rinsed and quartered
- 1 -2 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, cut into strips
- 6 leaves fresh basil, julienned
Directions See How It's Made
- pound chicken breast to 1/4 inch season with salt and pepper then lightly flour and set aside.
- in a large skillet heat evooand a tablespoon of butter.
- heat to medium high and cook chicken breast on each side to a light golden brwon and set aside.
- add 2 tablespoons of evoo and 1 tablespoon butter and saute shallots and garlic until just tender.
- deglaze pan with chicken broth and lemon juice.
- season to taste with salt, pepper and pepper flakes.
- reduce by 1/2 and then swirl in 1 tablespoon of cold unsalted butter.
- brush a shallow oven proof baking dish with olive oil and arrange chicken breast in one layer overlapping if need be.
- top chicken breasts with artichokes, capers and sun dried tomatoes.
- pour sauce over chicken then sprinkle with lemon zest, chopped parsley and basil.
- drizzle with olive oil cover with foil and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.