Tina Lynn's Note:
Time & love is all you need. Sauce could be used for any Italian dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 quarts tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 medium yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2-1 head garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup dehydrated mushroom pieces
- 1 large black olives, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (2 lb) rump roast
- 1Combine tomato products, mushrooms, olives, and seasonings in large crock pot and turn on low.
- 2Brown onions and garlic with olive oil until soft.
- 3Transfer to crock pot Using the same pan, brown each side of the roast 5-7 minutes.
- 4Transfer to crock pot making sure the sauce covers the roast completely.
- 5Cook for 6 hours.
- 6remove roast.
- 7Roast edges should"flake" then pulled with fork.
- 8Shred about 1/3 of roast and return to the sauce.
- 9The remaining intact roast makes the best sandwiches or a side dish to pasta served with this sauce.
- 10If you find the sauce to be bitter, add finely shredded carrot to taste.
- 11Allow sauce to cool completely.
- 12Set aside.
- 13Combine and cook polenta and water over low heat in large pot.
- 14The water should be mostly absorbed and it should look like cream of wheat.
- 15Let polenta cool (it will firm up).
- 16Set aside.
- 17Combine cheeses.
- 18Set aside.
- 19Preheat oven to 400 and spray non-stick cooking spray to 9x13x2 baking dish generously.
- 20Begin layering with thin layer of sauce.
- 21Then 1/2 inch thick of polenta, then cheese, then sauce again.
- 22Repeat polenta-cheese-sauce at least once or until dish is nearly at the top.
- 23Top with cheese.
- 24Cover with foil and prepare oven for probable"spill over".
- 25Bake covered for 45 minutes.
- 26Finish by baking another 15 minutes uncovered or until the middle is hot.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nonnie's Baked Polenta
Serving Size: 1 (691 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 588.4
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 98.2 mg
- Sodium 1936.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 38.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dehydrated mushroom pieces