Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is my nonna's old standby, when I was growing up, I would live for the weekends that we went to visit her, cause she'd make this everytime...It isnt loaded with ingrediants, and thats what makes it so good. Simple, fresh Italian flavours. It will nver taste the same as hers but its close enough for me!
- 4 small chicken thighs, bone in
- 2 Italian sausages
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1⁄2 large onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, plus
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (I actually like using the tomatoes in the tall glass container, italian brand)
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- basil (if using fresh, use lotsa basil, and add close to the end)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Put meat on a baking tray and bake, until juices run clear, about 20 minutes Process the carrot and onion together in a food processor, till smooth.
- Fry garlic in oil in a large saucepan, add the carrot and onion and bay leaf, fry for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and wine, bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to simmer and add the cooked meat, leaving whole.
- Add spices.
- Let simmer 2hrs on low.
- Serve over pasta.
- Top with freshly grated Parm cheese. When the sauce is ready to serve take the meat out and put on a serving dish and pass with the sauce.......the meat will be melt in your mouth good!!
I tried this last night for dinner,And was extremely dissapointed. I don't know if you wrote it down wrong or what, but it was blah. It really lacked any flavor, we used fresh basil, and alot, but since there was no ammount stated,i added a bit, then a bit more, trying to get it to taste like something more than crushed tomatoes. But it's useless. You'd have to change this recipe completly.