Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the back of the book: "Last Bite - A novel of Culinary Romance" By Nancy Verde Barr, Julia Childs' executive chef.
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml garlic flakes
- 2 large garlic cloves, Peeled and thinly sliced
- 2.46 ml paprika (or small pinch of hot pepper flakes)
- 793.78 g can Italian plum tomatoes, with juices, chopped
- 59.14 ml fresh basil leaf, torn
- Heat the oil over medium-low heat in a nonreactive saucepan or skillet.
- Put the garlic in the pan, taking care not to let it brown, and cook until the garlic is soft.
- Stir in paprika or hot pepper flakes and cook for 15 seconds then pour in the tomatoes with their juices.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat so it bubbles in a few places, season with salt and basil and let it simmer about 20 minutes until slightly thickened.
Sometimes the best things are the simplest things! This is so easy and yet so flavorful. I couldn't find garlic flakes, so added another garlic clove. Don't sub dried basil for the fresh, because the fresh really makes this sauce stand out! I used this on 2Bleu's Easy Potato Gnocchi.