Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From the back of the book: "Last Bite - A novel of Culinary Romance" By Nancy Verde Barr, Julia Childs' executive chef.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 4 large eggs
- olive oil (for frying)
- 1 1⁄2 cups marinara sauce
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- Peel the eggplant and cut it into paper -thin slices.
- Layer the slices in a colander, lightly salting each layer and sit a plate on top, touching the eggplant. Put a heavy can on top of the plate and let the eggplant drain for about an hour, then rinse off the salt and pat the slices dry.
- Preheat the over to 400°F.
- Beat the eggs in a pie pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour enough olive oil into a 10 or 12 inch frying pan to reach a depth of 1/4 inch and heat it over medium-high heat.
- Working with a few slices at a time, dip the eggplant into the edd, let the excess egg drip off and the slide the pieces into the hot oil.
- Cook on each side just until golden brown then remove and drain on paper towels or brown paper bags. (Watch the eggplant carefully; the thin slices will cook very quickly.).
- Layer the eggplant and Marinara Sauce in a shallow baking dish, ending with a film of sauce on top.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the sauce and bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.