Recipe by beckas
A DiMaggio family tradition. Noni used to bring this cake to every family gathering.
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 ounces slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box vanilla pudding mix (not instant)
- 20 ounces sweetened crushed pineapple (do not drain)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 16 ounces whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare cake mix as directed on box:.
- One boxed yellow cake mix.
- Pour the batter into two 9" cake pans.
- Combind the following ingredients.
- 1/4 cup flour.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar.
- 3 oz slivered almonds.
- 2 TBS melted butter.
- Sprinkle on the crumb topping on to the top of the cake batter.
- Bake the cake as directed and let cool, then chill the cake rounds in order for easier cutting.
- -- Frosting and filling --.
- Place in a saucepan over medium heat:.
- 4.5oz vanilla pudding and pie filling mix (not instant).
- 20 oz can sweetened crushed pineapple (do not drain).
- 1/4 cup water.
- Heat to a boil and cook until thickened and bubbly. Them remove from heat and let cool in the refrigerator.
- Whip until stiff:.
- 1 16oz whipping cream.
- 1/4 c sugar.
- Fold the whipping cream mixture into the pineapple mixture.
- Cut the rounds in half diagonally. Place the top of one of the halfs on a cake platter (almond size up) and frost with some of the filling. Add the bottom half as the second layer and frost with some filling. Add the bottom half of the second set and frost. Add the top half of the second set (almond side up) and frost.
- Store the cake in the refrigerator.