Recipe by GinaCucina
I got this recipe from a friend of mine years ago when she got back from New Orleans. She took a cooking class in the city and shared it with me. I've been grateful ever since.
Top Review by lauralie41
Very good bread pudding and couldnt be easier to make. We did use the french bread but Cranraisins since I had them on hand. Let it rest for 30 minutes before putting it in the oven and again after taking the pudding out of the oven so the center could set. Mixed dried fruit or dried cherries would also be delicious. Made and reviewed for Pick A Chef Orphanage - Fall 2012.
- 1⁄2 loaf stale French bread or 1⁄2 loaf poor boy roll
- 1 (14 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup other dried fruit
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (4 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bread into 2 inch cubes and place in greased 3 quart baking pan. Bring milks to almost a boil and remove from heat. Add butter and dried fruit or raisins. In another bowl mix eggs, sugar, vanilla and pudding mix. Stir well and add to milk mixture. Pour over cubed bread and let stand 10-30 minutes before baking. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned. Center will be moist but will set after cooling.