Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Wonderful and easy bread - Afghan style. I fell in love with this at my favorite restaurant, Kabul, in Madison, WI. They have the most amazing bread ever. This is a good close approximation. Posting for my DD who also loves this one!
- Mix 1/2 cup of the warm water, yeast and sugar together and let proof for 10 minutes. When froth appears, sprinkle 1/2 tsp of flour on top and let it continue to proof for 5 minutes more. The froth will rise quickly.
- Put flour in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle salt over it. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add oil and the yeast mixture. Stir to mix and add small amounts of the water until you have produced a soft, moist dough that can be handled.
- Knead dough well for 5 minutes. Put dough ball back in bowl, cover with a towel, and let it rise for 1 1/2 hours.
- When risen for 1 1/2 hours, punch down. Divide dough into 8 equal parts and roll each into a ball. Roll each ball into an oval shape 6 to 7 inches long and 1/2 inch thick. Draw tines of a fork along the length of each noni for a decorative design, if desired.
- Mix egg yolk and 1 T water, paint each noni with this mixture. Sprinkle cumin seeds or caraway seeds on top of each noni (black cumin seeds are traditional but caraway may be substituted). Put on ungreased cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Prep time does not include rising time.
This recipie was great!!! It goes great with the cucumber sauce I make!