Wonderful and easy bread - Afghan style. I fell in love with this at my favorite restaurant, Kabul, in Madison, WI. They have the most amazing bread ever. This is a good close approximation. Posting for my DD who also loves this one!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix 1/2 cup of the warm water, yeast and sugar together and let proof for 10 minutes. When froth appears, sprinkle 1/2 tsp of flour on top and let it continue to proof for 5 minutes more. The froth will rise quickly.
- 2Put flour in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle salt over it. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add oil and the yeast mixture. Stir to mix and add small amounts of the water until you have produced a soft, moist dough that can be handled.
- 3Knead dough well for 5 minutes. Put dough ball back in bowl, cover with a towel, and let it rise for 1 1/2 hours.
- 4When risen for 1 1/2 hours, punch down. Divide dough into 8 equal parts and roll each into a ball. Roll each ball into an oval shape 6 to 7 inches long and 1/2 inch thick. Draw tines of a fork along the length of each noni for a decorative design, if desired.
- 5Mix egg yolk and 1 T water, paint each noni with this mixture. Sprinkle cumin seeds or caraway seeds on top of each noni (black cumin seeds are traditional but caraway may be substituted). Put on ungreased cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 6Prep time does not include rising time.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Noni Afghani (Afghan Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (972 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 311.4
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 20.7 mg
- Sodium 296.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 7.9 g