Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Cracking the Coconut: Classic Thai Home Cooking and found at splendidtable.com. Snack vendors in Thailand who specialize in sweet sticky rice offer a variety of rices as well as toppings. Besides unadorned, plain sweet sticky rice, there are such choices as wild sticky rice, deep black burgundy in color; sweet sticky rice with corn; green sticky rice colored with pandanus leaves; and kao neuw from Nong Kao, sweet sticky rice with grated fresh coconut and roasted sesame seeds. Toppings include sweetened fresh coconut cream, coconut custard, and a mixture of dried shrimp, sugar, coconut flakes, and shredded kaffir lime leaves - sounds outrageous, but it is really delicious! Serve as an afternoon snack with tea or as a dessert.
- 2 cups cooked sticky rice, kept warm (recipe follows)
- 2 cups fresh grated coconut flakes
- 2 ounces sesame seeds, dry-roasted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups sliced mangoes (about 2 mangoes or 4 peaches) or 2 cups peaches (about 2 mangoes or 4 peaches)
- 2 cups long-grain thai jasmine sticky rice
- Cooking Sticky Rice in a Pasta Pot: Soak the rice in cool water overnight before cooking. Line the steamer basket insert of a pasta pot with fresh corn husks or soaked dried corn husks (used as Mexican tamale wrappers). Spray the corn husks with vegetable oil spray to prevent sticking. Drain the soaked rice and spread it evenly over the husks.
- Fill the pot with water to come to just under the steamer basket insert. Put the steamer basket insert into the pot, cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Steam the rice for at least 20 minutes, or longer. Transfer the rice to a serving bowl when ready to serve. Cover the rice with some corn husks to keep it moist and warm.
- To make dessert: In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm sticky rice with the grated coconut. Transfer the mixture to an 8-inch Pyrex pie plate, and place in the steamer basket insert for a pasta pot. Fill the pasta pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Insert the steamer basket insert, cover, and let steam for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the roasted sesame seeds, sugar, and salt. Add the steamed sticky rice mixture, stir well to combine. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- To serve, pack the sticky rice into custard cups or ramekins to shape, then invert each onto an individual serving plate. Serve with the mango slices.