Prep 24 hrs
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe in the American Profile and the submitter was Kathryn Novak of Northville, Mich. I made this for dinner last night and it was delicious! The prep time is the soaking of the chicken in the eggs.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (quartered, about 2 1/2 lbs. total)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 2 large green peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 (7 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese
- 1 (2 7/8 ounce) canfrench's original French-fried onions
- Soak chicken breast in beaten eggs overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat chicken pieces with breadcrumbs. In a large skillet, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat until golden brown. Add half the chicken and cook about 2 minutes per side. Repeat until all chicken is browned, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons additional butter, if needed. Transfer chicken to a 13-by-9 inch baking pan.
- add olive oil and Italian seasoning to pan dripping and heat over medium heat. Add peppers and cook 12 minutes or until richly brown and caramelized, stirring frequently. Sprinkle peppers and mushrooms evenly over chicken. Deglaze the pan with some of the chicken broth and pour over all. Add remaining chicken broth. Top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle onions evenly over all and bake 15 minutes or until golden.