Recipe by Foxesinsockses
This is a delicious, buttery soup. Originally made to pair with toasted tuna salad sandwiches, but we were too full to eat them! Courtesy of Micheal Chiarello.
Top Review by Tea Jenny
This was a nice soup, I have never roasted tinned tomatoes before but it worked it made them tastier and just a bit toasted on the edges and it gave the soup a very nice flavour. I didn't use all the oil I used spray olive oil on the tomatoes and used 2 tablespoons in the softning of the veg I did use the butter to give it that buttery taste I also added a wee bit sugar to take the edge off the tom's. Made for PAC Spring 2011.
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 carrot
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Strain can of tomatoes well, reserving liquid. Spread tomatoes on a wax-paper- or tinfoil-covered baking sheet.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil over the tomato chunks.
- Roast chunks in oven for 15 minutes, until edges are well browned and starting to caramelize.
- While tomatoes roast, dice celery, carrot, onion, and garlic.
- Pour remaining 1/2 cup olive oil into stock pot or large sauce pan, and heat on medium-low.
- Add celery, carrot, onion, and garlic and cook for 10 minutes, covered and stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Once vegetables are softened, add roasted tomatoes, butter, tomato juice, bay leaves, and chicken broth, and simmer, covered, for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Once everything's soft and well blended, add cream and basil.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in a standing blender until smooth.