Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
These decorations are nice in the x-mas tree but also as gift-tags. Use a gold or silver craft pen to write names on them.
- Mix in a bowl the cinnamon and cloves.
- Add to this applesauce, oil and the glue.
- Knead this mixture for a few minutes til you have a firm but pliable dough.
- Too wet, add more cinnamon--too dry, add more applesauce.
- Roll the dough out on a surface dusted with cinnamon, 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out shapes with cookie cutters [x-mas tree, hearts, stars, etc].
- Make a hole in the top with a wooden or metal skewer, this must be large enough for ribbon if you want them for hanging.
- Air dry them for several days on paper kitchen towel, turning them over several times so they don't warp.
- A low oven [200°F] for a few hours will also do the trick, don't forget to turn them over.
- When dry, decorate with a ribbon.
- You can also use shallow plaster, cookie and candy molds, press the dough in the cavity, smooth with a rolling pin, ease out of the mold and cut away the excess dough.
- Or roll out the dough, place a piece of decorative lace on the top, using the rolling pin go over it until it has left an impression of the lace, then cut out using the cookie cutters.
- You also get a nice result using cookie stamps.
Made these a few years ago and they smell SOO good! I've since lost the recipe but am glad to see it here. Made several for drawer inserts and used cinnamon and sugar oil to enhance the natural cinamon. Perfect for christmas gifts.
I just love these. I needed only 1 Tbs more of applesauce. I baked them in the oven at 150 for 1 hour then shut off the oven and left them in all night. (that was since supper was still heating on that temp. Use the cinnamon just like you would flour while rolling. used a gingerbread man cookie cutter and a straw to cut holes in the head to hand. They curled up a bit so they look like a gingerbread man trying to give you a hug. Smell nice too and after being used as a name tag it can be an ornament. Thanks
Addendum: I made these again last night as an ocean mobile - hung from the ceiling ( my passion is the ocean / surfing ) for my DS. I free handed the fish, starfish, seashells, dolphins and seagulls, oven dryed them, used invisible thread of varying lengths so as not to break / crack as they swing in the air ( buy invisible thread in the notions dept.) I then lightly sprayed them with unscented hairspray and quickly sprinkled each one with various colours of glitter. I then bought a small plug in spotlight nightlight which points up onto the mobile highlighting it. My DH now wants me to make a " universe mobile " to teach him of the planets, moon and stars. My DH's passion is astromony, I'm starting to think that one may be for him too. I'm still the " Bestest Mommy "... Thanks to you !!!