Recipe by scsunpeach
This is the best healthy banana bread ever. Wrap it in foil and eat the next day for the best results. You can replace the banana with shredded zucchini or carrots if banana isn't your favorite with equally good results. You can leave the wheat bran and wheat germ out without compromising the recipe as well, I just sneak in good stuff for my family. Enjoy!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I pretty much followed your recipe right on down, mostly because I don't usually use whole wheat flour or wheat bran or wheat germ, & wanted to see just how well it would all turn out! Very well, as a matter of fact, & we thoroughly enjoyed this banana bread. Oh, yes, I almost forgot ~ I did use a Splenda-brown sugar combo for the brown sugar ingredient! Really liked the wheat & banana combo & would be happy to make this one again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC recipe tag]
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 4 medium bananas, mashed
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 2⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup wheat bran
- 1⁄3 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts, cinnamon to taste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix sugars and yogurt until creamy. Add egg substitute and beat. Add bananas, water, and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients in a different bowl and mix together well. Incorporate dry ingredients into wet mix slowly until thoroughly mixed together.
- Pour into loaf pan, muffin tins, or mini-loaves and bake until brown on top and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Large loaf pan-50 min to 1 hour 15 minute.
- 6 mini loaf pans-30 to 35 minutes.
- twelve 2 1/2 inch muffin tin-15 to 20 minutes.
- Wrap in foil when cool and keep in cool place or freeze.