Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Recipe Taken From: http://www.veganchef.com I haven't tried this yet, but I am planning on trying it atop of a mock tuna melt. yummy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup agar-agar flakes
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews
- 1⁄3 cup blanched almond
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil or 1 tablespoon sunflower oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup soymilk or 1⁄3 cup rice milk
- 1⁄3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- n a small saucepan, place the water and agar-agar flakes, and simmer over low heat to thoroughly dissolve the agar-agar flakes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, place the cashews, almonds, and oil, and process for 1-2 minutes to form a smooth paste.
- Scrape down the sides of the food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and process for 1 minute.
- After the agar-agar mixture has simmered for 5 minutes, add the mixture to the food processor, and process an additional 2 minutes to thoroughly blend the flavors.
- Lightly oil a 3-cup mold, plastic container, or small loaf pan. Pour the cheese mixture into the mold, cover, and chill overnight.
- Unmold the cheese and used sliced or shredded in place of commercially made cheese in your favorite recipes, or enjoy with crackers, breads, or fruit. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.