1/2 Photos of Non-Dairy, Creamy Vegetable Soup With Bacon
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Diana #2's Note:
A creamy and hearty soup that everyone can enjoy. Stick to your ribs comfort loaded with goodness. Created for the 2011 Craze-E Soups or Sandwiches Contest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb center-cut bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
- 4 cups vegetable broth, see note below
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, finely snipped
- 1Fry bacon until crispy around the edges. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Reserve 1 tsp of the bacon fat, and use to saute the onion, shredded cabbage, bell peppers, and black pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender and lightly caramelized.
- 2In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add the sauteed onion, cabbage and bell pepper mixture, along with the potatoes and carrots. Reduce heat, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 3Using a slotted spoon, remove about 1 cup of cooked vegetables and set aside.
- 4Use a stick blender (or a food processor) to blend the remaining mixture until smooth.
- 5Stir the reserved cooked vegetables, basil and cooked bacon into the puree. (You may wish to save a bit of bacon for garnish) Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- 6Garnish with reserved cooked bacon, if desired.
- 7Note: Depending on the variety of potato you use, you may need to add additional broth to thin the soup.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Non-Dairy, Creamy Vegetable Soup With Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.9
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 505.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: