Recipe by Miraklegirl
After following the ongoing debate over canned soups- I realized that I couldn't comment because I have never made any casserole type dishes involving cream of mushroom soup because they are all dairy and for religious reasons, we don't mix meat and milk. So I created this substitute, which is really authentic... I will weigh in on the debate after tonight's dinner!
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
Excellent! I used this as a vegan cream of mushroom soup for green bean casserole, and let me tell ya, this is da' bomb! Very delicious indeed, and was so perfect in all ways. I used *Silk* organic unsweetened milk. Thickened perfectly, and was so delicious, people were hoping I made extra soup. No. Sad faces abounded. Thank you! Made for Thanksgiving 2009
- 14.79 ml pareve dairy-free margarine
- 59.14 ml chopped mushroom
- 14.79 ml minced onion
- 44.37 ml pareve dairy-free margarine
- 44.37 ml flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 295.73 ml soymilk, heated
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1 tbsp margarine and sauté vegetables lightly.
- Remove from pan.
- Melt 3 tbsp margarine.
- Whisk in 3 tbsp flour and seasonings.
- Cook for about one minute, stirring frequently.
- Slowly add hot soy milk, stirring with a whisk to prevent lumps.
- Add vegetables back in.
- Cook until thick, stirring constantly.