After following the ongoing debate over canned soups- I realized that I couldn't comment because I have never made any casserole type dishes involving cream of mushroom soup because they are all dairy and for religious reasons, we don't mix meat and milk. So I created this substitute, which is really authentic... I will weigh in on the debate after tonight's dinner!
- Melt 1 tbsp margarine and sauté vegetables lightly.
- Remove from pan.
- Melt 3 tbsp margarine.
- Whisk in 3 tbsp flour and seasonings.
- Cook for about one minute, stirring frequently.
- Slowly add hot soy milk, stirring with a whisk to prevent lumps.
- Add vegetables back in.
- Cook until thick, stirring constantly.