Recipe by Demented Nana
Low fat, low cholesterol 'cream' soup made without milk or cream. You can use almost any vegetable in this, or add a variety of seasonings to suit your own taste. My sister created this recipe after her husband had quadruple bypass surgery: he needed reduced fat and cholesterol, and she needed non-dairy.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 1⁄2 cups mushrooms
- 1 cup non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth to a boil over medium heat.
- Slice mushrooms while broth is heating, and add to broth when it comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes until mushrooms are cooked.
- Stir in powdered non-dairy creamer.
- Mix cornstarch and water, and slowly stir mixture into soup until it is as thick as you like it.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: Recipe can easily be halved or quartered.
- Note: Seasonings such as salt, pepper, parsley, garlic, or Italian seasoning can be added to suit individual taste.
- Note: Celery, caulifower, broccoli, or asparagus can be substituted for mushrooms.