Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Upon responding to a recipe request here at Zaar, I came across this recipe on the web, but do not remember where I found it. This was posted for a non-dairy version of the caramel sauce in the Cinnamon-Roasted Pears with Dried Cherries and Caramel Sauce recipe. Amount made is an estimate. Hope you enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup rich non-dairy coffee creamer (full strength, do not water down)
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine (Fleishmans unsalted is recommended)
- In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, sugar, creamer and margarine.
- Bring to a boil over moderate heat while stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved.
- Use in place of your favorite caramel sauce.
OH wow! Bobtail thank you soooo much. I love caramel and I'm glad I found your recipe. I was playing around in the kitchen and decided to use this caramel sauce in a cookie recipe I was experimenting with (made up myself) and I used the leftover sauce for a sliced Granny Smith apple. Very sweet, rich, nice caramel taste. I used Silk brand non-dairy coffee creamer and Smart Balance with Flaxseed Oil. I also halved the recipe. Not sure how this would keep in the fridge, but a half recipe made just over 1/2 cup of sauce. Thanks again, a definite keeper! :)
Outstanding! I also used vanilla creamer but I added a pinch of salt to cut the sweetness down a bit. It turned out very rich and had such a lovely, silky texture. The leftovers separated and hardened to a chewy consistency in the fridge but a quick zap in the microwave and it was perfect. I used it in place of the toffee sauce for a sticky toffee pudding and it was a hit!