Recipe by Northern Polar Bear
Non alcoholic. Great dessert for the Holidays and for family dinners with children. Our grandsons wait all year for me to serve this on News Years Day dinner. This has become a great family tradition. For an extra minty taste use Oroes with mint filling.
- 3 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (1 pkg Oreos)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 1⁄3 cup very hot water
- 4 egg whites
- 6 candy canes (peppermint) or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 -6 drops green food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Crush chocolate cookie wafer into crumbs.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter and combine with 2 1/2 cups crumbs. Mix very well and press into a.
- 9x12-inch pan. Place in freezer while you continue with filling.
- Be sure to save 1/2 cup crumbs for the topping. This 1/2 cup does not need the butter.
- Crush candy canes in food processor until fine. 1 candy cane yields 1 tablespoon.
- Sprinkle gelatin on cold water, when wet stir with fork to separate add very hot water and stir to dissolve. Let stand 5 minutes. It is very important that the gelatin be dissolved completely.
- Whip egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
- Whip cream until it forms soft peaks, then gradually add sugar then vanilla beat until cream is stiff.
- Fold in egg whites and gelatin and crushed peppermint candy canes.
- Add green coloring.
- Remove pan from freezer and pour cream mixture over crushed crumbs, top with remaining 1/2 cup of crumbs and set in fridge for 3 hours.