Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
As taken from Alaska "Sourdough" Cookin', copyright 1976, Baxter Lane Company
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped
- 2 cups vinegar
- 4 cups diced onions
- 1 (2 lb) package brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Cook rhubarb and vinegar over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal immediately.
- Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.
This is an excellent condimant to serve with any roast, like horseradish or crsnberry sauce or mint jelly. I'e made it as Alaska Rhubarb and Onion Relish, but in all the years I've made it and all the times I've seen the recipie, no one knows where the Alaska comes from. I put up a batch every year. Makes great Xmas gifts.
Great recipe! I did omit the table salt and reduce the clove to 1/2 teaspoon. I tried the relish out on some friends as a glaze for grilled chicken and got rave reviews. So far I have put up 16 8oz. jars. We'll see how many I give away and how many I keep for myself...
Wonderful recipe! This is my first review and I made this on a whim and I now have gifts for my gourmet friends. I can't wait until they taste it. Need more recipes like this. I also omitted the salt and reduced the cloves to 1/2 tsp. Five stars and more!!!