1/6 Photos of Nogales Steak Tacos
This is a GREAT recipe that I adopted. The onions are fantastic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs steak (rib steak,New york 1 - 1 1/4 inches thick)
- 6 garlic cloves, mashed with
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, in a mortar and pestle (or a cutting board)
- 3/4 cup fresh sour orange juice (from Seville oranges, OR 1/4 c. fresh orange juice plus 1/2 c lime juice.)
- 2 tablespoons tequila (I would say it is not optional) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ground red chili pepper (Ancho or New Mexico)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 24 corn tortillas (handmade or the freshest you can find)
- 1 lb queso asadero cheese (mild white cheese) or 1 lb ca monterey jack cheese (mild white cheese) or 1 lb wisconsin muenster cheese, cut into strips 1/4 x 1 x 3 to 4 inches (mild white cheese)
- 6 fire roasted peeled and seeded poblano chiles, sliced or 6 canned Ortega green chilies
- salsa, of your choice
Lime Pickled Red Onions
- 1Mix all marinade ingredients.
- 2Pierce the steaks all over, on both sides.
- 3Pour over marinade, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- 4Lime pickled red onions: Mix all the ingredients and let marinate for at least 3 hours at room temperature.
- 5Will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- 6About an hour before grilling the meat remove the steaks from the refrigerator.
- 7Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- 8Remove meat from marinade and pat dry with paper towels.
- 9Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- 10Cook over hot coals with mesquite until done to your liking.
- 11Set the meat aside and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- 12Briefly heat each tortilla, either over the direct heat of the grill or in a heavy skillet.
- 13Only enough to make them pliable.
- 14Place 2 pieces of cheese on each tortilla, fold in half.
- 15Wrap these (about 6 each) in foil and place in the preheated oven just long enough to barely melt the cheese, approximately 20 minutes.
- 16To serve, cut the steaks against the grain into strips 3 to 4 inches long and about 1/4" thick.
- 17Set out the fire roasted chiles, pickled onions, tortilla/cheese setups, guacamole and salsa.
- 18Fill the tortillas and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nogales Steak Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 841.2
- Calories from Fat 383
- Total Fat 42.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 169.0 mg
- Sodium 2015.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 58.1 g