Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another prize-winner from the Chicago Tribune's weekly $5 Favorite Recipe contest, this one dates from December 1, 1968. The recipe poster said these were a favorite Christmas cookie in her family. From my Great Aunt's recipe collection.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons strong brewed coffee
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 lb coarsely chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 lb pecans
- 1 lb mixed candied fruit, chopped
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and coffee; beat well.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Measure out 1/4 cup of the flour mixture and dredge the fruit and nuts in it.
- Add the dry mixture to the butter mixture and beat until belnded.
- Stir in fruit& nuts.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets, 2" apart.
- Bake in a preheated 325 F oven for approximately 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.