We love this recipe. It's based on the recipe that Nobu made famous at his restaurant (which I highly recommend) and on his television appearances. I often add a good amount of seaweed to the salad, just because we like it so much.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 7 ounces fresh tuna filets (sushi or sashimi grade)
- 2 ounces mesclun or 2 ounces baby greens
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1Preheat a grill or broiler or lightly oiled cast iron pan.
- 2Season the fish with a little sea salt and black pepper.
- 3Briefly sear the tuna until its surface turns white.
- 4Plunge the filet into iced water to stop it from cooking any further.
- 5Shake off the excess water.
- 6When sliced, the center of the tuna should be very pink with the edges seared white.
- 7For the dressing, combine the onion, rice vinegar, water, granulated sugar, pinch of sea salt, mustard, ground black and ground black pepper in a bowl.
- 8Stir until the salt and mustard have dissolved.
- 9Add the grapeseed and sesame oils and soy sauce.
- 10Mix well.
- 11Pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the onion dressing into a serving dish.
- 12Arrange the salad greens into the center of the dish.
- 13Cut the tuna into thin slices.
- 14Place the tuna around the salad greens.
- 15Drizzle with a bit of the dressing and serve cold.
- 16Garnish with carrot curls, sliced green onions, white radish strings, or a bit of seaweed for an added twist.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nobu's Sashimi Salad
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.8
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 56.5 mg
- Sodium 958.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 36.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: