Noble House Sichuan Style Cucumber Salad
- Cut the cucumbers into quarters lengthwise. Slice out the seedy portion, then cut each quarter in half again. cut the halves into smaller pieces about 1 1/2 inches long.
- Crush the cucumber slices by pounding them once or twice with a kitchen mallet, blunt edge of a cleaver or a rolling pin.
- In a large bowl, toss the cucumbers with salt and let sit for 20 minutes, allowing the salt to draw out the extra moisture.
- In a small skillet, heat the peanut oil on medium-low heat. Add the garlic and gently cook until fragrant (30-40 seconds). Do not let the garlic burn. Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl. Add the cider vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and crushed pepper and combine thoroughly.
- Drain the cucumbers and get rid of any remaining excess moisture by squeezing the cucumbers with your hands.
- Toss with the cider vinegar mixture and serve at room temperature or chill until ready to serve. This salad will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.