Recipe by Member #610488
This Chinese New Year dish is one offered by a local chinese restaurant. The lettuce represents growing wealth for the coming year.
- 8 ounces mushrooms, dried
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 heads bok choy, baby sized halved lengthwise
- 1 medium romaine lettuce, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 8 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine enough boiling water (about 1 cup) to cover the mushrooms in a bowl. Allow to rehydrate for about 20 minutes. Drain mushrooms reserving liquid for further use. Rinse mushrooms and then cut into quarters. Set aside.
- Combine soy sauce, wine and sugar in a small bowl.
- Over medium high heat, add 1 tsp oil and the ginger and saute about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and saute about 1 minute. Add the mushroom liquid and broth then bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to simmer and allow to cook for 20 minutes. (Up to this point, can be made ahead of time).
- Combine oyster sauce and corn starch in a bowl using a whisk. Add to mushroom mixture and then bring to a boil, stirring constantly. At a boil, cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- In a large skillet or wok, add the remaining oil and stir-fry the garlic for 10 seconds over high heat. Add the bok choy and stir-fry for two minutes until it begins to soften. Add lettuce ad stir-fry for 2 minutes until lettuce wilts. Stir in the mushroom mixture and cook an additional 3 minutes.