Noble House Eggplant Shu Mai
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in wok or nonstick skillet. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add eggplant, and stir-fry over high heat, 4 to 5 minutes, until very soft; add a little water if needed.
- Add soy sauce, bean sauce, sesame oil and cilantro; cook, stirring, until thick, about 1 minute. Let cool.
- Dust baking sheet with cornstarch. Arrange several gyoza wrappers on work surface.
- Put 2 tsp filling in center of each; pull up sides into pleats, and plop on baking sheet, flattening bottom.
- Cover tightly with plastic; chill up to 24 hours, or freeze.
- When ready to serve, first mix all of the Chili Sauce ingredients and transfer to dipping bowls.
- Lightly oil heat-proof plate or metal steamer insert. Steam shu mai on plate set on cake cooling rack over boiling water or in steamer for 8 minutes. Serve.