Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This tasty recipe is from a local Chinese restaurant in my hometown.
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 lb flank steak, thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 lb fresh Chinese egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, diagonally sliced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 4 large fresh tomatoes, cored and cut into large chunks
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, cut into smaller pieces
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with 1/2 cup cold water until dissolved
- In a medium bowl, mix together the first four meat ingredients. Add the steak and turn the pieces to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook for 1 minute. Drain the noodles. Rinse them under cold water, then drain again.
- Place the noodles in a large bowl. Add the sesame oil and soy sauce, then toss well.
- Heat two 12-inch nonstick skillets briefly over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil to each. When the oil is hot, add half of the noodles to each skillet.
- Cook, stirring often, until the noodles are crispy and lightly browned. Cover the pans and set aside away from the heat.
- Heat a separate nonstick skillet or a large wok over high. Add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the beef and stir-fry until browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer the steak to a bowl, cover and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil to the pan. Reduce heat to medium-high, then add the onion, celery and bell pepper.
- Saute for 4 minutes, then add the fresh tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and ginger. Stir well. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture a little at a time, then continue cooking until the sauce thickens. Add the beef, then stir in the noodles. Coat and serve immediately.