Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a quick snack type cake that makes a good week night dessert with leftovers for lunchpails the next day. The recipe originally came from a Junior League cookbook from my area. I tinkered with the flavorings until it suited my family.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups apples, pared and diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts, walnuts or 1⁄4 cup pecans, work well
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Cream together butter and sugar, Add beaten egg to creamed mixture.
- Mix together flour, soda, salt and spices.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture.
- Stir in vanilla, nuts and apples, by hand.
- This will seem dry at first but will loosen up as you mix.
- Spread in greased and lightly floured 8"x8" pan, sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over top of batter before placing in 350 degree oven.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- No need to frost.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, or cooled as is.