Recipe by Chef PotPie
This is an easy casserole that I like to serve with pasta. It is just as good with less fat, using boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooking spray instead of oil, and thickening with arrowroot or cornstarch rather than the butter and flour. Either way, my family loves this! (It's good with the marinated artichoke hearts, too!)
Top Review by mama smurf
I made this last night for the Bargain Basement Tag 2009. This recipe is outstanding. I cut the recipe in half because there is just DH and I but made the full amount of sauce (added a little roasted garlic) and served over rice. I used 4 boneless chicken thighs and served it along with Recipe#173875#173875. This made an easy and delicious recipe which I will definately make again for us for a wonderful meal and will serve to company! Thank you Chef PotPie for a wonderful dish!
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- cooking oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon summer savory
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, salt, pepper and paprika and coat chicken with this mixture.
- Brown chicken on all sides in hot oil.
- Place browned chicken in baking dish.
- Cut artichokes in half and place atop chicken.
- In skillet, saute celery, onions and mushrooms in butter until tender.
- Blend in flour, stir in milk, summer savory and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Add cheese and stir until melted and combined.
- Pour over chicken and bake at 350* for 30 minutes.