Recipe by Mark Lussier
A delicious warm soup for a cold night
Top Review by ladypit
This is a very good basic soup. I made a bunch of subs, but this soup works well for this. I used green pepper instead of celery, kidney beans, chicken broth, and wheat elbows. I doubled the elbows to a cup but next time I would only use 3/4. I also used Italian seasoning instead of just basil, and used a generous shake. We thought this needed more salt & pepper at the end, and we added a little parmesean on top. We are all sick so this was a nice comforting soup on a cold night.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup carrot
- 1 cup celery
- 1 cup potato
- 1 can white beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shell pasta or 1⁄2 cup most pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions and garlic and 1/4 cup of water until water is almost gone and onions are getting clear.
- Add carrots and another 1/3 cup of water, cook for approx 5 minutes.
- then add celery and more water as needed, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, cook another 10 minutes adding water as needed.
- Add remaining water, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium/ high for 15 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and add the pasta.
- Simmer for 1/2 hr to 1 hout or until everything is tender.