Recipe by grumblebee
This is a delicious and lower fat/calorie alternative to traditional deviled eggs. Instead of filling the whites with yolks and mayo, these easy to prepare eggs are stuffed with hummus! Experiment with different flavoured hummus -- there are many commercial variaties available at most grocery stores, from garlic to roasted red pepper. Perfect as a quick, protein rich and healthful snack, or as a unique hors d'oeuvre. Kids love these too!
Top Review by somebodys_sweet_pea
Totally yummy! I love this idea and it tastes great! I mixed in just a couple out of 6 yolks and just a little teaspoon or so of veganaise - but just because I love the taste! You could really play around with this. Thanks!
- 6 egg whites, hard boiled peeled and cut lengthwise
- 3⁄4 cup hummus, any flavour
- slivered almonds
- red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove eggs yolks from hard boiled eggs. (save them for a treat for your dog!).
- With a pastry bag (or freezer bag with corner cut off), pipe hummus into egg half hollows.
- Top with desired garnishes. Parsley goes well with almost any variaty of hummus, slivered almonds or paprika are nice on traditional flavoured hummus, and red pepper flakes pair well with roasted pepper hummus. Experiment to find your perfect combination! :).