1/1 Photo of No-Yolk Chocolate Fudge Cake
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 25 mins
This is being posted in response to a request for a Passover cake. The recipe is originally found in the Let My People Eat cookbook. The description indicates it has a lot of flavor and little cholesterol. Cake may fall a little as it cools. The cake may also be prepared 2-3 days in advance and glazing should be done on the day the cake is being served. Cook time includes refrigerator time. Actual prep and cooling time are unknown.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup walnut halves, toasted and cooled
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 7 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted margarine, melted and cooled
- 1Cake: Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8-inch sprinform pan.
- 2Place walnuts in food processor or blender and pulse several times.
- 3Add cocoa powder, orange zest and 3/4 C sugar; process until finely ground, being careful NOT to grind to a paste.
- 4Stir in orange juice and set aside.
- 5In large bowl, beat egg whites with salt until they begin to hold soft peaks.
- 6Gradually add the remaining 3/4 C sugar, 2 Tbsp at a time, beating after each addition, until the egg whites begin to hold stiff peaks.
- 7Gently stir about 1/3 of the egg whites into the walnut mixture.
- 8Fold in the remining egg whites.
- 9Add the cooled margarine and fold everything together gently but thoroughly.
- 10Pour the batter into the pan and bake in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- 11Remove the cake and let cool completely in the pan.
- 12Run knife around the edges of cake and remove the sides of the pan.
- 13Tightly wrap cake and refrigerate until ready to glaze.
- 14Glaze: In small heavy saucepan, combine chocolate, orange juice, margarine, sugar and salt.
- 15Stir over moderately low heat until the margarine is melted and smooth.
- 16Carefully invert the cake onto a rack in a shallow baking pan.
- 17Pour glaze over the cake, tilting if desired to allow glaze to run down the sides.
- 18Garnish with walnut halves.
- 19Chill, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes or until glaze is set.
- 20Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No-Yolk Chocolate Fudge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.8
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 144.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 40.1 g
- Protein 7.4 g