Recipe by Nuttie Moo
I have not tried this so the texture may not be too good.
Top Review by Terri Newell
I tried this yesterday. The crust was so hard I could barely cut into it. The inside was very dense and chewy. Not much flavour. I made one round loaf, about 8" diameter and about 1.5" thick. After baking, it had morphed to an oval loaf about 4" thick in the centre. If I tried this again, I would add salt for flavour. I would also spread the dough out more, to make a thinner finished loaf.
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar or 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix.
- Combine water and vinegar.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead for two or three minutes (no need to overdo it).
- Shape into a round (about 1½ to 2 inches high), then place on pan.
- Dip a sharp knife into flour and cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf.
- Bake 40 minutes.
- Remove, and while hot, glaze with 1 tbsp melted or softened butter.