1/1 Photo of No-vinegar Dill Pickles
1008 hrs 30 mins
Jenny Sanders's Note:
Posted in response to a request for dill pickles made without vinegar. This recipe is per quart; make as many quarts as you like. These are excellent, and very easy to make. The hardest part about making pickles is scrubbing the cucumbers, and I'm not kidding. I prefer fairly small pickling cucumbers, and pay a premium to get them. Dump them in a sink, cover with cold water, then start fishing them out and scrubbing them THOROUGHLY with a soft brush. Get every bit of grit and dried-out cucumber blossom off of them, or they will not taste so good. When you have scrubbed every last blessed cucumber, rinse them again. Now you are ready to start - or maybe two-thirds done.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the quart jar (s) in a large pot, cover and bring to a boil.
- 2Boil them for 10 minutes.
- 3Remove and empty them.
- 4Put the salt, spices and garlic in the bottom of a sterilized quart jar.
- 5The amount listed is for one jar.
- 6Add a little water to dissolve the salt.
- 7Pack- I say PACK!
- 8-with cucumbers and a couple heads of dill, as tightly as possible, without breaking the cucumbers.
- 9Leave a little headroom.
- 10Fill up with water, leaving 1" headroom at the top.
- 11Cap lightly for 24 hours, then tighten and store for 6 weeks in a cool dark place.
- 12Use sterilized lids and rings to cap.
- 13(Boil both for 5 minutes.).
- 14Place on newspaper in case they leak while fermenting.
- 15Store in a cool dark spot- a basement is ideal.
- 16I make these every year for fear that my father might disown me if I failed to make him 6 or 8 jars for his Christmas present.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No-vinegar Dill Pickles
Serving Size: 1 (17 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2.4
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 465.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 0.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: