Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
So many of the beef stew recipes out there have tomato ... but I am with a man who is allergic to citric acid. I've tried a few recipes, this is the resulting amalgamation based on my cooking experiences
- 44.37 ml flour
- 680.38-907.18 g lean stewing beef
- 29.58-44.37 ml cooking oil
- 828.06 ml beef broth (or 3 cups beef broth plus 1/2 cup beer)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml dried basil, crushed
- 2.46 ml dried thyme, crushed
- 709.77 ml beef broth
- 473.18 ml potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 473.18 ml carrots, sliced thickly
- 236.59 ml celery, sliced
- 354.88 ml peas
- salt and pepper
- Place flour in a plastic bag, add a few pieces of beef at a time shaking well to coat.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large sauce pan. Add onions, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Transfer to a large stew pot.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in sauce pan. Add meat and brown well. Transfer to stew pot.
- Add beef broth (and beer if using), basil and thyme. Bring all to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Add 3 more cups beef broth. Add potatoes, carrots and celery, cover pot, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add peas and simmer 15 minutes more.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. You won't need much salt, as the broth has plenty.