Recipe by Mumma=^..^=
So many of the beef stew recipes out there have tomato ... but I am with a man who is allergic to citric acid. I've tried a few recipes, this is the resulting amalgamation based on my cooking experiences
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs lean stewing beef
- 2 -3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef broth (or 3 cups beef broth plus 1/2 cup beer)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups carrots, sliced thickly
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups peas
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place flour in a plastic bag, add a few pieces of beef at a time shaking well to coat.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large sauce pan. Add onions, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Transfer to a large stew pot.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in sauce pan. Add meat and brown well. Transfer to stew pot.
- Add beef broth (and beer if using), basil and thyme. Bring all to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Add 3 more cups beef broth. Add potatoes, carrots and celery, cover pot, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add peas and simmer 15 minutes more.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. You won't need much salt, as the broth has plenty.