2 hrs 20 mins
So many of the beef stew recipes out there have tomato ... but I am with a man who is allergic to citric acid. I've tried a few recipes, this is the resulting amalgamation based on my cooking experiences
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2-2 lbs lean stewing beef
- 2 -3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth (or 3 cups beef broth plus 1/2 cup beer)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups carrots, sliced thickly
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups peas
- salt and pepper
- 1Place flour in a plastic bag, add a few pieces of beef at a time shaking well to coat.
- 2Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large sauce pan. Add onions, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Transfer to a large stew pot.
- 3Heat 2 Tbsp oil in sauce pan. Add meat and brown well. Transfer to stew pot.
- 4Add beef broth (and beer if using), basil and thyme. Bring all to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender.
- 5Add 3 more cups beef broth. Add potatoes, carrots and celery, cover pot, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- 6Add peas and simmer 15 minutes more.
- 7Add salt and pepper to taste. You won't need much salt, as the broth has plenty.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No Tomato Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (551 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 392.1
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 82.9 mg
- Sodium 1079.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 30.8 g