Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I pulled this recipe together on a day that I need to come home to a ready supper and wouldn’t have time to wait for an oven baked lasagna to cook. My family LOVED this version of their old favorite! This recipe generously serves 6 to 8, but if you are serving a crowd, it can be doubled, though you will need a 5 or 6 qt crock pot. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 32 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked
- 12 ounces ricotta cheese (or you can use cottage cheese or 8 oz of cream cheese)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (or you can use cheddar or a cheddar blend)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Brown the ground beef, onion and garlic. Add the salt and spaghetti sauce to the meat mixture, letting it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix the ricotta cheese, egg and oregano, blending until smooth.
- It is helpful to grease the inside of crock pot before layering. Spoon a thin layer of sauce to cover the bottom of the crock pot. Place 1/3 of the egg noodles over that sauce. Then add 1/3 of the remaining meat sauce, 1/3 of the ricotta mix and then 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat (always starting with noodles) until you have 3 layers. Sprinkle the parmesan over the top of the last layer.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or you can layer in a 9 x 13 pan, cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
My family loved this! I doubled the recipe for a 6-quart crock pot, b/c I was expecting guests. I also used cottage cheese, which I normally use for lasagna. The guests didn't show up, so I froze the leftovers, and they reheat well after thawing. This definitely goes on my regular go-to list! Thanks.
WONDERFUL, DELICIOUS AND EASY! My family loved this recipe! I made it the night before and turned on the crock pot the next morning before work! So nice to come home to a cooked meal! Recipe is a definite keeper. Thank You Likkel!
What an excellent way to have make ahead lasagna, right in my crock pot! very cool. I used oven ready lasagna noodles (catelli) instead, and it turned out perfectly! I do like my lasagna with spinach though, so I also added that in the cottage cheese layer. Thanks!